Sunday, June 10, 2007

Currently listening to:
Artist: Jurassic 5
Album: Quality Control
Track: Twelve

Wow, what a week!

Last weekend my dad and I took a man's day and went out to Giddings, TX. My parents recently bought 13 acres from my grandfather. We went to switch the deed and to grab some barbeque. We vacuumed the cabin and dropped off some furniture I had accumulated from A&M. As I was mopping behind a couch I noticed a large hairy tail come out from underneath. I immediately thought it was a rat and sort of backed off to see where it was headed. To our dismay, it was not a rat. It was a large black and white rat. It was actually a skunk. So, my dad and I proceeded to scare it hoping that it would spray indirectly. It eventually did and my dad courageously herded it out of the house. What a victory.

After that episode we went to Hempstead to play golf. It was my first time on a course and I think I held my own for a beginner. I have a lot more respect for golfers now. It's a very difficult sport. I hope to play again very soon.

On Sunday we drove down to Texas City and went fishing for the afternoon. The typical fish were biting, croakers, drum, and some sea perch. On my last piece of bait and on my last cast I caught a puffer fish. I caught him on one of his fins and he puffed up several times as I dangled him over the water. Definitely the highlight of my day!

This past week I have been in Austin, TX training for work. The days were long, starting at 8am and ending at 5pm...they were usually pretty boring. I really enjoyed learning about all of the products that we have to offer. It was pretty crazy realizing that I will soon be an expert at all of these products. We went out most of the nights in Austin and it was definitely a lot of fun. The company paid for a 'dinner' cruise that was actually a booze cruise. Lake Austin is beautiful. There are a ton of amazing houses down there.

I was able to sit down and talk with the market manager for the South Texas (The Valley/Corpus/Mission) area and it was definitely uplifting. He said that Stock would be doing a lot of growth in that area and that he would be looking for several managers from our training class. He said it was entirely feasible for me to run a location in Corpus and go to TAMUCC to get my MBA. That would be absolutely amazing. I think my decent Spanish skills will help out there too...I hope it falls through!

On Thursday night I hit up 6th Street with a group of co-workers. One of the guys from corporate went all out and bought us all of our drinks for the night. After about 9 or 10 shots I was having a great time. He paid for us to get to the front of the line at Pure...a hopping club that had an awesome DJ. I danced with a ton of people and had a great time. I will never forget that night!

I had Friday off so I went to San Marcos to visit Biff and Andrew. We went and saw Ocean's 13 and it was really good. I thought they would mess up the third of the series, but it was surprisingly amazing. After the movie we went to The Square in San Marcos and had a few beers at the clubs. We left The Square and headed to an after party that was quite fun.

I headed back to Houston after a great week and I'm looking forward to starting work downtown. There's going to be a lot of adjustments to make, but I think I will learn a lot from this job. Anyways, let's keep that in our prayers.