Tuesday, December 17, 2002

This poem was written by me as a freshman in high school:

Unpopdividual
I’m not as good as they are
I’m horrible by far
I wish I were original
A world of digital
My brain goes slow
My time does show
I’m not fast
Way different from the past.

These perceptions can’t keep me around!
These perceptions can’t keep me down!
I’ll break their chains of conformity
And show them a mental reality
We live like a lottery of acceptance
All need to be given a chance

We all want to be the same
All will realize the one Name
A popular vote
A majority quote
A conformist rejection
A dislike of selection
Individuality profound
My recession of sound


Finals are going good....a day of rest and then 2 more:
1. Economics
2. Physics

Here is a sociological assumption:

What is our purpose in society? What are we here for? These are common questions with uncommon answers that testify to the true illogical mind of man. According to society, we are here to be. We are here to use the world’s resources and to advance technologically while living without spirituality or belief in any supernatural powers. We are here to be. In my beliefs, I have found these assumptions to be of an unfulfilling and particularly false system. We are here to live and grow as individuals. Why do we then base our growth on the growth of others? We use others as a standard or benchmark to determine our worthiness on an individual basis. I find that people who develop by choice tend to be happier with their decisions and have minimized stress in their daily courses. I believe school to be a generally good contraption, but it has many loopholes and falsities in its curriculum. In schooling, assignments should be given that actually allow the student’s mind to grow, as opposed to forcing it to fester in its own underdevelopment. As schooling becomes more and more difficult at younger and younger ages, we should understand that children are becoming more and more intelligent as the years go by. In junior highs around the country, teachers constantly say, “This will prepare you for high school.” In high schools around the country, teachers constantly say, “This will prepare you for college.” Well, I have noticed that our schooling systems have forgotten the concept that we are still in our designated grade and that we need time to be in that grade. Teachers are forcing students to learn more material, more difficult material, and prepare; never allowing them time to be in their grade. Some will say this is good, but for those students that are not quite at the same level as other students, school is laborious…causing them to lose interest. That is essentially why the level of high school dropouts is continuously rising. Material is becoming too hard, hindering individual growth and societal awareness.

floomar!