Friday, December 13, 2002

I wrote this excerpt as a sophomore in high school:

I woke up this morning and wondered ‘Why do we do this?’ Why do we continuously cycle through our days with ‘laborious’ tasks that will not increase our intelligence? Why do we have to live in a society where our social merit is completely based on success? How do we define success? Society defines it as being good in school, being popular, being married, and having money. It is a simple platform for which all should attempt to mount. Why do we have this goal? Why do we have division? We should be able to have different priorities and norms, but our society is closed to alternate methods. Why do we base everything on material, physical, and mental gifts? There is no room for normality, no room for those without an obvious gift. I honestly am the most normal person you will ever meet. I am somewhat intelligent, somewhat physically fit, and somewhat well off. There are no aspects of academics that I greatly succeed in. There are no aspects of athletics that I am good at. What should I do? What should my motive be…if any? Society has created such an obvious medium of segregation, it needs to be contained. Humans should be able to be who they want to be and not a mass-produced label. We are not made of interchangeable parts, but of individuality. Variety is the key to our future. Variety includes mediocrity.