Monday, December 09, 2002

Well, I’ve been posting a lot of poems lately, so I’ve decided to add something other than my peculiar tidings of melodious joy. I need a balance between literary inspiration and harmonic sonnets of incoherent textures. So, I shall speak of a current issue that debate has brought to my mind, a difficult issue of massive proportions.

Issue: Chinese population control issues, how do we deal with overpopulation?

In recent times, the Chinese National Government has declared a new law to be strictly upheld within all of its known territories. This law gives parental units the right to have only one child. Let me say that again, in an easier way to understand, “Parents can only have one kid.” For people of the American culture, it is often hard to understand how we can be limited in our familial manners, but we live in a country based entirely on freedom and democracy, this is not a mutual government standard world-wide. The Chinese have been struggling with population issues in many cases and have reached their breaking point of population diffusion. The Chinese agricultural workers have resorted to pouring sewer water on their crops because of the shortage of water. Water is a limited natural resource in this region of the world and its consumption is monitored carefully. The Chinese are trying to figure out a method of controlling their population. The aforementioned method is what they have decided upon. This way of life will result in the abandonment and killing of millions of innocent babies throughout the years to come. In my opinion, this method is obviously wrong, going against one of the most common morals in our society of ‘not killing people.’ Unfortunately, the Chinese don’t have a choice as to how they can limit their population. Essentially, they have to reduce the amount of people in their country, by limiting new people from entering it. The only positive thing of overpopulation is the idea that the average age of death of a country is very high, meaning that the country is generally in better health and could possibly have better medical facilities. So, my opinion of the issue comes to a near qualification of the ideas of the government. Being that I don’t like the idea of killing people, I believe that limiting immigration from neighboring countries and encouraging foreign movement could have a drastic effect on the predicament. Also, promoting the use of birth control and contraceptives could promote having less babies, meaning less killing of innocent children. Another method of encouraging population diffusion could be to give government subsidies to rural citizens, providing incentive for people to move out of the crowded cities. This could allow for less congestion and enable China to utilize all of its land to its full capacity. I know and understand that all of these issues that I touched upon do not have full potential to ‘save the country’ but they are steps of advancement, a simple hypothesis for a complex problem.

So, I hope you had a good day, I had a pretty good one, heres my events:
1. Woke up, very tired
2. Drove to school, trying to stay awake (sticking head out of window into cold wet air)
3. Bought kolache and ate it
4. Sociology-talked about Chinese Population- Learned I'm exempting the final
5. English-watched cheesy Macbeth Movie- J. Riemer and I's commentary made it interesting
6. Scripture- Brain deadness
7. Pre-cal- 104 on test....85% in the class
8. Study Hall-Work ahead on Physics
9. Spanish- Watched Spanish II Presentations, Graded them, failed kids that wouldn't give me time of day
10. Economics- Brain Deadness
11. Physics- Took in-class Assuage Assignment out X-men style
12. Came home, talked on AOL, shot pool
13. Ate dinner of buffalo wings
14. Did Physics
15. Shot pool w/ Dad
16. Ran 1 mile
17. Watched TV
18. Worked on Blog (now)
19. Will take shower and SLEEP